Monday, March 27, 2006

All the News Fit to Snooze

This morning's post deals with a subject I know rather well. Broadcast journalism.

I love Fox News for the most part. I enjoy Shepard Smith's "The Fox Report" in the evenings. However, there is one thing he does from time to time that drives me up the wall. Please, someone instruct me as to how a car chase out in Los Angeles qualifies as national news? At most, I can understand carrying a brief clip and perhaps the denouement, but to stay on it for a half hour to the neglect of other rather important stories?

What's next? Will we lead off the six o'clock news with a kitchen fire breaking out in an apartment in Watts?

Yeah, I'm grouchy. It's Monday.

5 comments:

crownring said...

Don't worry, be crabby. (:>~~~~~

BTW, I think FOX is bizarre for showing car chases too. Some of these guys have said they actually run from police because they know the coverage will be on the news.

SolaMeanie said...

That too, crownring, is a reason not to carry them. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and I am sure some of these schmoes love seeing the shots of their vehicle hurtling down a superhighway.

They need to watch the video of the crash over the weekend that killed the race car driver. Then again, who knows. That might give the idiots a thrill, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I know you from the Sword of Truth.

I agree about the news stories. Some news stories just encourage us to be sickly voyeuristic about the tragedies of others lives. British media ran the last dying phone call of some drowning Chinese men, their call to the emergency services, over and over... what are we (the public) supposed to do with that exactly? Cry? There's nothing else you can do. It's a tragedy already that they died, but do we have to hear their last words too?

Anonymous said...

I always wonder, when there's something on like this, exactly what this is trying to distract us from.

Michael Jackson's oddities are, in the larger picture, unimportant.

SolaMeanie said...

Voyeuristic is right! I also think there's a nugget of truth in your remark about distraction.

Does the term "bread and circuses" come to mind?