Friday, March 10, 2006



Storm on the Horizon

Entering this weekend has me in a bit of a glum mood. The country is overtaken with the Dubai Ports Scandal, a nuclear showdown pending with Iran, Hamas governing the Palestinian Authority and the Israelis justifiably concerned, Bird Flu, and a host of other worries. Oh, did I forget the moral and economic climate? How could I have left that out?

Battles over theology in the church (nothing new, but still depressing). Making ends meet. Watching yourself slowly age. "Auntie Em, Auntie Em...the hourglass is almost empty!"

Charles Dickens wrote a book called "Bleak House," and the house of the United States is looking particularly bleak, not to mention Planet Earth from any vantage point. From an eternal perspective of course, I am optimistic, believing that a sovereign God has His hand firmly in control no matter how it might look to the faithless, jaundiced eye. Yet as Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego could tell you, the righteous and the unrighteous both often have to wade through the same deep, choppy water.

I am afraid that this country that I love so much is in for a really bumpy ride. Bumpy? No, I can't understate things this time. America may well be in for the most troubled period in her relatively brief history. And it all has its origins in this - the nation as a whole has forgotten God. Even His bride - the church - is having a corker of a time playing the harlot. Well, not ALL of the church, but a pretty good chunk of it. Jesus asked the question once, "When the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?" If judgment begins with the house of God, what might rain down on the unregenerate country as a whole? God has always historically judged nations. If He is anything, He is consistent.

I really wonder how much sand is left in the hourglass?

1 comment:

crownring said...

How much sand is left in the hourglass?

Both too much and too little.

If not for the Lord's compassion for the unsaved which I try to emulate, Sola, I'd say bring it on now!

BTW, I would appreciate your comments on a topic I started "elsewhere". Sola, the Tenth Commandment. Who knows, it might even turn into Bible study material!