Wednesday, April 12, 2006



TBS's Sick Sense of Humor

The previous post was put up during a brief coffee break this morning, and this one was done during the lunch period. Sadly, I am near losing my appetite. A nice little cave in the Ozarks symbolizes my disgust today. I am torn between the desire to crawl into the cave or to put a few people in it and seal it up (purely rhetorical, of course).

I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan and have been since my youth. In my teens, I was even briefly a member of the Mythopoeic Society and remember sending in an outraged letter at a parody published years ago that changed the name of Bilbo to Dildo. I thought it was vulgar and insulting to Professor Tolkien and his story. I still think so and care little for any shrieks about "freedom of expression." If you like swilling out of a cesspool, go for it. Don't expect those of us with true taste and appreciation to share your taste for fecal coliform.

Well, now TBS is hinting in a promo for the hugely popular Lord of the Rings movie that the characters Frodo and Sam have a homosexual subtext in their relationship. Happening to know just a bit about the attitudes of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and their fellow Inklings toward such things, this is not only laughable in a scornful sense but also insulting to their memories, their work and their decidedly Christian values. If either of them were alive today, I wouldn't be surprised to see them threaten a lawsuit at worst, or at minimum decry this garbage with the contempt it deserves.

Sadly, I am afraid our culture at large is getting so debased that most people won't care. A sign of the times. Be warned. Worse days are ahead. Despite my ultimate biblical optimism over the denouement, it will still be very rough water for those of us who love the Lord and love His appearing.

4 comments:

crownring said...

I'm afraid this is nothing new, Sola. People were making questionable comments about Jackson's depiction of Frodo and Sam's relationship within days of the release of "The Return of The King" to the movie theaters. Personally, I think Jackson actually played up the idea that the two were a bit "limp-wristed", as if he couldn't stand the idea of Frodo and Sam being so close and dependent on one another without there being some semi-hidden sexual element in play. It was one of the disappointments I had with the movie trilogy. Few people understand Tolkien's portrayal of Sam and Frodo's incredibly unique relationship came from Tolkien's own foxhole/trench experiences as a soldier during WWI.

Eric Pement said...

I think you're right about our culture becoming "so debased that most people won't care." Our news media and public broadcasts have portrayed far worse very often, and innuendos of a gay relationship between Frodo and Sam are probably to be expected. They come from the reprobate minds of those who "have pleasure in unrighteousness" (2 Thess 2:12; cf Rom 1:32).

Randy said...

It doesn't surprise me. It should, but doesn't. This stuff is being crammed down our throats constantly. It's difficult to watch any modern cinema without them working in some gay theme. It's definitely a sign of the times. I sense it won't get any easier or lighten up anytime soon.
A sad indictment on our culture.

Cindy said...

Yeeesh!!!! This ticks me off, too. I actually thought the movies did a pretty good job of showing that the relationship was not sexual in any way, but in these days of "Brokeback Mountain," nothing is sacred.

People have been insinuating the same thing about Jonathan and David in the Bible, though. So I guess nothing really is new.