Sunday, May 28, 2006

In Memoriam

Being that it is Memorial Day weekend, The Seventh Sola would like to salute the men and women bravely and sacrificially serving in the United States Armed Forces. Although I have never served in the military myself, I have the highest honor and respect for those who have. My own late father was in the infantry during World War II and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. My stepfather served in the Navy during the same war, only he was in the Pacific end of the conflict. Like most of those surviving who fought in the war, they are reluctant to talk about it. But they are proud of their service and justifiably so.

The concept of memorials can be seen throughout Scripture. The Lord directed the children of Israel to build and observe memorials related to various key occasions. In the New Testament, we are often exhorted to "remember" because we have fickle memories as human beings. We always need reminders, even though we might have an excellent command of Scripture.

As the debate rages over our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, I am seeing vestiges of the same 1960s Woodstock attitude that I found so distasteful in the Vietnam era. The incidents at Abu Ghraib and other criminal incidents by a few in our military have fueled these attitudes - never mind that those responsible have been or are being brought to justice. These incidents should not be used to attack our military as a whole, but some on the far left are doing just that. They see it as an opportunity to fulfill their agenda. The idiot councilman in San Francisco who openly admitted on national television that he thinks we should not have a military is a good example. Thankfully, clowns like him are in a minority. However, the constant carping by people like this can have a deleterious effect on public opinion and the morale of our troops in the field. Whether or not one agrees with our current military operations, there is no excuse for this nonsense. The anti-military zealots deserve our censure. The men and women in the armed forces - as well as their children and extended families - deserve our prayers and thanks. I pray that they are successful in their mission, and that peace will quickly be won so they can return home. Home in victory. God bless them all on this Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I feel exactly the same way about this subject, whether or not you agree with the war in Iraq shouldn't stop us from caring about those serving their country there, and praying for them. I was posting on a board recently and was really sickened by someone telling me I ought to pray for Iraq as well, as if I didn't!!!- because to her mind to admit to praying for the troops made me pro-war! I'm not pro-war! I don't know what to think politics wise, *but* I think it is terribly selfish to only pray for those whom we support politically... I pray for American and British soldiers in Iraq because they are there doing a hellish job and I'm all admiration for them for doing that. And I pray for the Iraqi people as well. So many messageboard pundits seem to have a complete dearth of fellow feeling for the rest of humanity out there living it and suffering it. I find it quite humbling if I read a soldier's weblog and then think of the petty minutiae of my own life! Abby

SolaMeanie said...

Quite true. The thugs over there sowing havoc are enemies of society, not just American and British soldiers. They think nothing of blowing up their own people or any other atrocity to try and achieve their political goals. There is no reasoning with them. They must be defeated.

None of this should stop those of us who are believers from showing the compassion of Christ and praying for all of them. However, that's not the job of governing authorities, whom the Bible says are to be "a terror to evildoers."