Thursday, May 18, 2006



More Observations on the DaVinci Flap

Why a photo of Gooseberry Falls? Because I feel like I am watching our society go over the falls in a barrel.

I for one am glad to see that critical reviews of the controversial movie, The DaVinci Codes, are for the most part tepid. Like most Christians, I am deeply offended at this portrayal of our Savior. Unlike Muslim extremists, you won't find me out blowing myself up in crowded restaurants, rioting in the square or burning down theatres. That is not the Christian way. We don't put out fatwas. Which, I suspect, is one reason why Hollywood goes after Christians with such impunity. They know we won't physically hurt them. However, we do have the right to object and many of us have. Of course, protests can increase publicity for the thing we are protesting. That is a given. However, we must still speak out.

I find it cynical and very dubious that director Ron Howard and those associated with the film profess ignorance as to why people are in an uproar. The incident over the Muhammed cartoons should have been instructive to the "artistes" that people don't take it too kindly when the object of their deep religious faith (or other deeply held conviction) is slandered under the charade of entertainment. Would most civilized people slap their thighs and guffaw if it was decided to make a comedy out of the happenings at Auschwitz-Birkenau? I think not.

A similar outrage has broken out about gay-themed drawings depicting Jesus engaged in a sexual situation with another man..anatomically correct depictions, I might add. There is no art in this whatsoever. It is gross and offensive..and INTENDED to offend. How to respond?

Suppose some traditionalist groups should decide to hold rallies around the country celebrating the deaths of those afflicted with AIDS? How about drawing a graphic photo of someone dying of Kaposi's sarcoma with smiley faces in the background? Too offensive? Good. Then perhaps you can see my point. And here's what's doubly ironic. I would not approve of such things in the least and would speak out strongly against them. Too bad our detractors don't show us the same courtesy.

As to the DaVinci Codes and the hoohah over it? I have one reaction. Too bad Aunt Bee isn't around to give young Opie a good hiding. I suspect even Sheriff Andy might get in a few whacks.

6 comments:

crownring said...

If you don't have cable, Sola, I thought you should know that there's been programs on decidedly secular tv channels, (Discovery/History), that have done a far amount of research to either prove or debunk Brown's Da Vinci Code. In particular, they've proven the so called Piory of Sion, in spite of Brown's claims to the contrary, DOES NOT EXIST. Microchondrial DNA tests have also proven that the supposed daughter of Mary Magdelene and Jesus did not marry into early French royalty. Middle Eastern DNA does not show up in the French royal bloodline. There is also no evidence that the Cathers ever possessed any scrolls that traced the bloodline of Christ. Or that a certain French priest got hush money for turning over scrolls found in a pillar of his church. They've found the priest's financial records, proving his considerable wealth came from selling endulgences to certain wealthy members of his parish. And there is one more damning piece of evidence.....not even in the gnostic gospels is there any mention of Jesus having married and a child being born of that union.

I believe the Lord has left this message from Isaiah for our particular time.

Isaiah 8:11-13 (New International Version)

11 The LORD spoke to me with his strong hand upon me, warning me not to follow the way of this people. He said:
12 "Do not call conspiracy
everything that these people call conspiracy [a] ;
do not fear what they fear,
and do not dread it.

If there is really a conspiracy to be found here, it's Dan Brown's "conspiracy" to make a lot of money of a book of fiction and (by all accounts I've heard) a very bad movie. I sure hope Brown enjoys his money because (unless he repents) he certainly won't be enjoying Heaven. As for "Opie", the spin that comes from producing a bad movie may end up being punishment enough.

Cindy said...

Joel, I've actually heard that Andy Griffith is upset with Ron Howard. Now, go to my blog and check out "The Norman Rockwell Code"! :)

Rob said...

Man,

You Evangelical's are falling right into the trap. Guy's, Big Business is either marketing to you, or hoping you'll stir up major controversy. Either way you play right into the hands of big business.

Stop it. Stop freaking out about every little thing. Stop protesting about it, stop talking about it. Then it will go away. Evangelical's make so much noise in the culture no one knows when to take you seriously.

Rob

SolaMeanie said...

Um, Rob, my friend...

Believe it or not, I have a long time background in media and I know how the game is played. You're missing the point on one thing..and it's an important one. I can agree with you to some extent that Christians (not just evangelicals) have made idiots of themselves with some of their protests. This is different and it goes way beyond the Last Temptation of Christ kerfuffle.

You're forgetting about the naive many who will attend something like this and think it's Gospel truth. Have you not been seeing the attention given to resurgent Gnosticism in the culture and media? This film and related issues deal directly with the witness of the church, the authority and reliability of Scripture and the Gospel itself. We will be held accountable by the Lord if we DON'T speak up. Even a cursory reading of Scripture shows how sharply both the Old Testament prophets and the New Testament apostles responded to error. Quite sharply. Once in a while, God Himself took a direct hand.

I am hardly advocating censorship, as we often get accused. It is right and proper to express offense when something is offensive. I am far from "freaking out" as you put it. Honestly, I fully expect it to get much worse. Who knows, it eventually might bother even you. :)

Rob said...

Hey Sola,

Nice. It'll take a lot more then DaVinci to offend me. :)

I wasn't specifically saying you, Btw. I'm aware of your media savyness. Make relationships with people who think it's the Gospel Truth. Show them it's not. I'm just saying Evangelical's (and Christians in general) have been relegated to a Target Market. That's harldy, salt and light and it's definitely not counter-cultural.

The Last Temptation kerfufle is the problem though. It's like the boy who cried wolf too many times. You've (Christains/Evangelical's not you personally) have lost credibility in the culture.

I'm really more of making a suggestion rather then a critique although my last post didn't come across like that. I think we need to demonstrate turning the other cheek in culture.

Rob

crownring said...

Funny thing, Rob. I am not in a line of work that puts me in much contact with the public, but I have Christian friends who are and they're telling me people are saying and asking them "Well, isn't "The DaVinci Code" based on the Bible?" Now I am certainly not above believing God can even use recycled baloney to bring people to Himself, but doesn't it seem a little bizarre to be confrounded with that question in a country where 85% of the population calls themselves "Christian"?


Hosea 4:6 (New International Version)

[b]"My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge." [/b]

Notice Hosea didn't say inconvienced or bothered, he said DESTROYED.

If you want to see the high price of ignorance of God's Will, look around you.