Monday, May 22, 2006

Why a Pseudonym?

In recent days, I have been made aware that there are a few in blogdom who view people who write under pseudonyms as a bit suspect.

That's understandable in an Internet world where kookdom can run amok. For what few fans and many detractors I might have, let me assure you my pseudonym (or better yet, nickname) of Solameanie has no "state secret" involved with it.

I always got a chuckle out of the "Eutychus" character in Christianity Today, whether I agreed with him or not. I imagined he used the name to say things he normally wouldn't be able to say were his identity common knowledge (and he seldom said anything THAT offensive..at least I hadn't seen it when I was a regular reader of CT. In my case, I work with several different ministries, and thusly when I am wearing one of those hats, I have to keep some opinions to myself. Not that my associates would disagree with me much, but on some issues they might choose not to take a public position. I desire to say what I think on any issue and not be under any constraint other than that of biblical guidelines, ethics and common civility.

However, if anyone really wants to know who I am, it's not hard to find out. Just send me an email (found in my profile). I may not be able to keep up a regular correspondance, but my identity is no state secret.

In addition to ongoing commentary on issues that pique my interest or concern, I am going to be putting together some teaching material on the substitutionary atonement of Christ, which is coming under renewed attack these days. I might post some of this lesson material in addition to rejoinders on other subjects - and these will hopefully be of more substance than the brief posts I have been making over the past few weeks. Being ill is a bummer.

To all around the world who have clicked on to read The Seventh Sola, I offer my hearty thanks, and that is doubly extended to those who have commented. Your input is valued, even if I disagree with you! Stay tuned. (Sorry..old broadcasters' habits die hard!

1 comment:

crownring said...

(This answer is not directed at you, Sola, because you know my online history and why I take reasonable precautions to preserve my privacy.)

Why do I use a pseudonym? Because there are some very nasty and sometimes downright dangerous people surfing the internet, that's why! People who have access to your full name have enough to make your life a living nightmare if they so choose. It's bad enough when people you trust betray you, I'd hate to think what it would be like to have an anonymous stalker or an identity thief making your life miserable or even putting you and your family in serious physical danger. There are websites where you can find ANYONE in exchange for a small fee. Without the safety of using a pseudonym, I simply would not have an online life past exchanging e-mails with my friends and family.