Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Beloved Hymn

I love all kinds of music, and am one of the few remaining (it seems) who loves old church hymns. I have two favorites. For testimony purposes, it would be "The Solid Rock." However, for personal devotion and worship, it is "In the Hour of Trial." The music is minor key and deeply moving, as are the words. I post them below for your contemplation. I hope they bless you as much as they bless me, and may they remind us all of what our Savior suffered.

-0-

In The Hour of Trial

In the hour of trial, Jesus, plead for me,
Lest by base denial I depart from Thee.
When Thou seest me waver, with a look recall,
Nor for fear or favor suffer me to fall.

With forbidden pleasures would this vain world charm,
Or its sordid treasures spread to work me harm,
Bring to my remembrance sad Gethsemane,
Or, in darker semblance, cross-crowned Calvary.

Should Thy mercy send me sorrow, toil and woe,
Or should pain attend me on my path below,
Grant that I may never fail Thy hand to see;
Grant that I may ever cast my care on Thee.

When my last hour cometh, fraught with strife and pain,
When my dust returneth to the dust again,
On Thy truth relying, through that mortal strife,
Jesus, take me, dying, to eternal life.

4 comments:

ThirstyDavid said...

I haven't heard that hymn in years. That is rich!

lee n. field said...

"and am one of the few remaining (it seems) who loves old church hymns."

The few remaining? No, you are not. You'll find there's a lot of folks out there who's preference runs to the older stuff (and it's not just nostalgia for the stuff you grew up with).

"For all the saints
who from their labors rest. . ."

Randy said...

Joel,
I'm glad you wrote that. You're not alone though. I still love the hymns and always will. I think of the depth of theology in so many of those dear songs. The modern praise choruses pale in comparison to the rich history of hymn writers who knew the Word and put it to music.

Sometimes I fear the state of the modern church. I'm not against technology, but many services are reduced to slide projectors and everyone singing the same chorus over and over again.

Not to bore you...but when I came to Christ at sixteen, my pastor loaned my a hymnal. I lived in the country and would walk up and down the country fields singing songs out of the hymnal.

My all time favorite is "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." I have so many.
Thanks for sharing your special one on your post.

crownring said...

Great Is Thy Faithfulness has been a favorite of mine for years.

Here's a link to the lyrics and recorded music. For those of you in an office setting, be aware that the music is loud!

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/i/gisthyf.htm