Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Australians Get It!

The following link is to the Telegraph in Australia. The article deals with the need for Muslim immigrants in Western nations to assimilate and give up any radical ideology if they want to remain in country. I applaud the Australian government's boldness in this area. If we tried such a thing here in the U.S..we'd immediately be called racists and discriminatory. That, of course, is a canard. Race has nothing to do with it. Murderous ideology such as jihad does.

Much is said these days about the loss of our freedoms in America. I hope that day never comes. However, the loss of freedom often results from the abuse of freedom. I can see it happening that our enemies are using our very freedoms against us to pull off their agendas. Because of that, expect the willingness to give up freedom for "peace and safety" to grow as the threat grows.

I would hope there would be enough historic patriotics to resist such a move. However, our culture these days likes the convenient and eschews struggle of any kind. The path of least resistance.

I hope my pessimism will be disproven. Short term pessimism, that is. I'm an eternal optimist.

Telegraph

4 comments:

Rob said...

Sola,

I would hope that everyone gives up their radical agenda, not just immigrants.

Rob

SolaMeanie said...

It depends on what you're talking about. Most evangelical Christians don't go around blowing airliners out of the sky, hacking kids to death in caves, rioting in the streets at the slightest provocation and on ad infinitum. :)

Rob said...

Sorry,

You misjudged me there. I'm not equating right wing Christians with Islamofascists. At least not here, although the tone that I'm seeing could suggest it's possible . . . but that's a different kettle of fish.

I was saying I hope terrorists everywhere can give up their radical agendas, not just one's who emmigrate from wherever they live. Given my history I can imagine why you made that mistake.

Rob

SolaMeanie said...

My apologies, Rob...I see what you mean now. And I agree about the terrorists giving up radical agendas.

If you happen to see any right-wing Christians wearing Nazi paraphernalia, please let me know. :) I don't want to be around them either.