Friday, September 01, 2006

Solameanie's Recommended Reading List
...to be updated from time to time...

It's been several days since I've posted anything new. I am trying to enjoy some R&R in this "last weekend of summer." However, before I return to the regular, I'd like to recommend some great reading material.

1. Systematic Theology by Dr. Wayne Grudem. Published by Zondervan.

Wayne's book is probably one of the most user-friendly systematic theologies I have seen. There are a few points in it where I might take issue such as in eschatology, however it's a solid read, well written, concise, detailed enough with great footnotes, and helps make sometimes difficult concepts easier for the layperson to grasp.

2. Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church by Dr. D.A. Carson. (Zondervan)

The extremes of the ECM don't seem to like Dr. Carson much, and that's perhaps a good recommendation. Overall a balanced treatment of the controversy. He's much nicer than I am.

3. Hell Under Fire - an anthology of essays edited by C.W. Morgan and R.A. Peterson (Zondervan)

Hell is not a popular subject these days, but the subject desperately needs to be taught again. Modern "scholarship" is indeed reinventing eternal punishment. This book is much needed!

4. Correcting the Cults - Expert Responses to Their Scripture Twisting by Dr. Norm Geisler and Ron Rhodes (Baker)

This is yet another excellent resource from these two fine apologists. I have had the privilege of having Ron Rhodes on my radio program numerous times, and he's always an enjoyable, knowledgeable guest. I recommend this highly for your library.

That should do for the moment. Due to the program, I get more books in than is probably healthy, although it is is fun to see them stack up and cause the need for new library shelves!

The Seventh Sola will return with new fare soon, perhaps even this weekend if I can get done with my yardwork.

No comments: