Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Comment on "The Carters"

Yeah, already. I know. It's almost been a week since my last post. As Gerald O'Hara would have said, "tis a busy man I am."

I imagine this comment might get me in a bit of hot water but I'll say it anyway. The subject line might better have been "reality television." However, since the new show on the Carter family (not the country/bluegrass legends) sparked it, I chose that as my subject line.

No doubt those who end up in the grocery checkout line with all the tabloid and teeny-bopper magazines have seen the blond, photogenic Carter siblings. Brother Nick became known first followed by younger brother Aaron. What little I know of them has been gleaned from those brief cover headlines and the occasional story that pops up on entertainment news. My interest in entertainment is largely confined to classic films from Hollywood's Golden Age, and my music interests are largely from the classic rock years i.e late 1960s-early 1980s. I trust the Carters are talented enough in their genres, but that's not my concern at the moment.

Both Nick and Aaron attract a large amount of pre-teens in addition to older female teens. I imagine most parents readily buy their music for their enraptured children, or the children buy it themselves with their allowances. When the news came out about a show centered on their family, I can imagine the rapid heartbeats among this fan base. So, tonight while deciding whether I wanted to watch "The Clock" on TCM or "On the Record" with Greta Van Susteren, I popped by "The Carters" just to see how this wholesome appearing group behaved in front of the "reality" cameras. Well, in the approximately 40 seconds I watched, the "bleep" tone was inserted repeatedly as Aaron and his sibling quarrelled. I didn't see what the quarrel was about..I guess too much noise late at night or something. It seemed as if there had been fisticuffs. The older brother was tattooed so heavily I thought I was looking at a cave painting at first until the cave painting waved its arms and yelled. Bleep...yell...bleep..bleep.

Hmmm. Wholesome entertainment. Yeah. Right. A glimpse into lifestyles of the rich and famous. I didn't know whether to chuckle grimly or weep.

Despite how this probably comes across, I can assure you I am not sitting here in some self-righteous funk. Both brothers have been in trouble with the law lately. Why is it that those who have been given so much talent and fortune by God end up like this? Why is it that those who attract a large number of young people insist on being such bad examples? Of course, many would say "What's so bad about that? Lots of kids talk that way and lots of families are like that. That's reality."

Well, it's not everyone's reality and I would wager to say that it's not the majority reality. I have known plenty of families who manage fine without potty mouths or violent households (of the verbal or physical variety). And not all of them are Christian households.

Well, maybe I caught them on a bad day. I doubt it. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." I have to remind myself of that when my own temper is ready to flare. Praise God for His grace and mercy.

I hope the Carters and other "reality" types out there find this grace and mercy for themselves, and the changed heart and life that comes with it. Without God's grace shown through the Lord Jesus, I have no doubt I'd be far worse. Reading the history of my Celtic ancestors tells me that.

3 comments:

crownring said...

The Osbournes, The Ghottis, Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, and now the Carters. Bleah!

BTW, if you can get TLC, try the show Small People, Big World. It's about a real family dealing with the realities of dwarfism. I like these people. :)

SolaMeanie said...

It's nice that there is a positive alternative out there, crownring.

As for me, I think I'll stick to my usual fare..TCM movies..generally between 1930-1955. I keep getting people egging me on to see this or that latest show or movie. Usually, I can see from the previews that I want nothing to do with it.

Randy said...

I really dislike all reality shows anyway Joel. First off, it's not "true" reality. Some of it has to be choreographed like "Survivor" etc. But, the "real" part is there. The foul language, bad manners, et.al.

I've found in my close to fifty years of life a very disturbing fact. Just because someone or somebody has wealth, fame and status doesn't mean they are good people. With money a person can cover a lot of sins with security systems, large walls and hide behind a fake persona. There's really no difference from the degenerate on the street than the ones who live in mansions.

One look at VH1 will give a clear example of the so-called rich and famous. Musicians dying of drug overdoses, actors commiting suicide, etc.

My heroes growing up were Godly pastors. I guess, maybe I was the exception. If I did have a TV hero it was Chuck Connors on the Rifleman. A man who (at least in the series) showed love for his son, did what was right, valued integrity over greed, and the list goes on.

A lot has changed hasn't it? And not for the better, sad to say.

Be well Joel.