Tuesday, January 02, 2007



PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!

No More Britney, Paris, Lindsey..ad nauseum!

For the second day of 2007, a mini rant.

Since I first began watching Fox News some years ago, I have largely enjoyed the experience. However, there is one trend to which they contribute that I am finding quite tiresome. In fact, I am sick of it. Not merely because of my own broadcast journalism experience and pride in what CAN be an honorable profession, but also simply as someone who wants to watch a news broadcast to see real news. And that is the trend toward tabloid journalism. I hate to even CALL it journalism in that context. I don't know if Rupert Murdoch or Roger Ailes is ultimately responsible for the degeneration, but this is happening on their watch.

I really don't want to see blurred photos of a pantie-less Britney Spears getting out of a car. I don't care if she passes out at a nightclub. Insert the name of said celebrity in said misbehavior. Any one or two will do. I don't watch the news for that purpose. If I want to know what these fudgeheads are doing, I can buy a National Enquirer or Globe at the supermarket (which I won't). That's where it belongs. Not on a national newscast.

Sadly, many other news outlets are borrowing from Fox's template. It's "fast," it's "edgy."

It's nauseating. Stop it. Please.

7 comments:

Darren Marlar said...

Amen and Amen!

crownring said...

No one is so useless that they can't serve as a bad example......which these young women are proving to be. I don't see why anyone idolizes celebrities anyway. It's not like they don't use the bathroom the same as the rest of us. ;)

Palm boy said...

What was the three things that sells newspapers...
Sex, Disaster, and Superman.
Well, Fox is left with just Sex and disaster, and we've had a rather disaster-less past few months, with the exception of the elections, so they just go back to celebrities. Whee.
I hate it just as much.

SolaMeanie said...

I had forgotten that old saw, palm boy. Thanks!

As for disasters, Pat Robertson is trying to gin that up again. Let's see how many don't come true this time. Sigh. I am sure we'll have enough disasters to fill Fox's craw and then some..and we didn't need Pat's divining to figure that out.

William Elders said...

Bush was right when he said that "Defeating terrorists and extremists is the challenge of our time...". Bush himself is both an extremist and a terrorist: he and the neocons who put him in power need to be removed. I believe the future of our country depends on it.

Palm boy said...

William, I am reluctant to answer you, because proverbs says to rebuke the fool is to invite anger...
What the heck.
*dons cowboy hat*

Ok, Bush is an extreamist?
1. Why all the spending? Why would he give the education bill over to the opposing party to write, if he was just some right wing, partisan hack extreamist?

Bush is a terrorist? Please, I have never seen Bush intentionally target women and children with the intent to kill, maim, and destroy, to serve a political purpose. What I have seen Bush do is lead almost 20 million people into freedom.

The Neocons of whom you speak... I'd like them out too. Perhaps some real conservatives in their place would do the country wonders.

SolaMeanie said...

William,

Tell me, were you as outraged over Clinton's moral turpitude when he was in the White House? The way he and Hillary used FBI files to get dirt on their opponents? The way he used executive orders to get what Congress wouldn't give him? I could go on ad infinitum. What was the famous quote from a Clinton aide? "Stroke of a pen, law of the land. Kinda cool."

I agree with Palm Boy about the neo-cons, but your rhetoric against Bush is way over the top, more in keeping with the moonbat lefties like Cindy Sheehan. She belongs in Bellevue Hospital in a strait jacket, not on the national news.