Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Whole Language? Nah!

This will seem like an unusual post in light of the past few weeks, but The Seventh Sola deals with all sorts of things.

My sister sent me the following as a joke. The idea is that if you can read the following, you're among a very special crew. Well, honestly, it's not that hard for me to make it out. Although it's supposed to be a joke, I can see the "whole language" crowd glomming on to this as some sort of vindication for their wacky ideas. As far as I am concerned, the "whole language" concept is merely an excuse for illiteracy. Here's the paragraph...how did you do?

Don't even think about using spell check!!!!!!!!


fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny
55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the
olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it
whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter
by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt!


Don't buy it, parents! Phonics all the way!

4 comments:

crownring said...

UGH! This joke gets an "F"!

Randy said...

Rush Limbaugh said it best, "The dumbing down of America." We've been there for a long time. I'm glad you're going to have a phonics tutorial posted soon Joel! (grin!)

Kingdom Advancer said...

That was very easy for me. I didn't even have to glance at a word twice--it was just like if they were all spelled correctly, although it did take a little more concentration.

I'm not sure, though, if it demonstrates anything other than that I un-scramble letters well, or that I'm used to being on the blogosphere, where misspelled words are commonplace.

Yet, misspelled words get a bit under my skin.

Spelling is important, too. Misspelled words often look unattractive; they take the focus of an observant person off the content and to the fact that "it's misspelled"; misspelled words can appear like other words; and they can be downright confusing and/or non-sensical. Plus, when you start to remove the order of correct spelling, where does the madness of disorder stop?

Words have correct definitions, and they have correct spellings to go alongside.

Kingdom Advancer said...

I should also say, though: it does show the amazing ability of our minds, though, and therefore how amazing our Creator is.

On the other hand, our God is a God of order.