Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Shepherd's Conference Journal

From the Solameanie, greetings in Jesus' name from sunny southern California and Dr. John MacArthur's Shepherd's Conference. Yes, I know it's not March 12 yet, but today I happily discovered that the place where I am staying has wireless Internet access. Because of this, I am going to try to keep my blog updated from here in a manner that I hope will be a blessing to you.

Tim Challies did us all a noble service last year by live blogging the Shepherd's Conference. I won't attempt to do that, but I will endeavor to end each day by filing a report containing the key highlights of the sessions I attend, along with my impressions and/or reactions to the things shared by the key presenters. With keynote speakers such as Dr. MacArthur, Dr. Al Mohler and John Piper opening God's Word each day, plus a plethora of stellar presenters including Phil Johnson of Pyromaniacs fame, I am sure this will be a very rich, encouraging week.

Please lift this event, its speakers and attendees in prayer. Most of the 3,000-plus attending are pastors and church leaders, and they urgently need the encouragement and fellowship that the Shepherd's Conference provides. There are some who are dealing with very difficult situations in their home congregations, and this week will be like an oasis in the desert for them. I am thankful to the Lord for raising up Christian leaders like John MacArthur, and for a congregation like Grace Community Church that is willing to do whatever it takes to serve fellow servants of Christ. Their efforts here remind me a bit of the account told in Exodus 17, where Aaron and Hur supported Moses' weary hands - hands lifted high so Israel would continue to win the battle. In like manner, the pastors, elders and staff of Grace Community are holding the weary hands of these pastors high as the Word is proclaimed, sometimes in the faces of the enemies of Christ.

So stay tuned. More to come later.

2 comments:

Palm boy said...

Earlier then March 12...
Godspeed with your venture.

Cindy said...

Joel, if you see Phil Johnson, be sure and give him my regards!