Friday, October 26, 2007

Church for Sale?

I am writing this from a motel room on my way back home from a personal business trip. Today while traveling north on U.S. 67 through the Mark Twain National Forest, I saw a sight that begs for a few days pondering.

Along the highway, there is a relatively new church that sprung up there within the past few years. It's a lovely building, constructed from what appears to be a mixture of brick and stonework. The denomination is irrelevant for my purposes here. What struck me was the fact that this newer church appeared to be abandoned. There was one of those portable signs out front where people put changing messages up. There had been something posted there but several letters were missing to the point that you couldn't really make out what the message had been. But then I noticed this -- a "For Sale" sign.

Oh, my. What could the problem have been here? In over their heads in a building program? An unexpected church split? Who knows without investigating, and I really don't care to do that. How about the irony inherent in that sign? Not necessarily for that particular congregation because I don't know anything about them. But the irony could apply elsewhere should that sign be posted on other church grounds. A church for sale. Sale to the highest bidder? Theology up for grabs? Whoever gives the most money controls the flock? If you really want to take a dark turn, sale as in spiritual harlotry?

That sign made me think and the thoughts weren't pleasant. Lord, bring this nation and your people to repentance.

No comments: