Monday, October 15, 2007



Israel's Amazing Tolerance . . . For Us

I woke up today to watch the morning news, and to again be aghast at the cheek of the U.S. State Department, unfortunately this time in the guise of Dr. Condi Rice. Dr. Rice in essence warned Israel not to make obstacles or take actions that will gum up the peace process. Excuse me while I snort my coffee across the room. What peace process? And how dare we chide Israel when the real concern ought to be what is going on in the Gaza Strip, not to mention Syria and Iran? You can't make peace with people who want to kill you. And until the Palestinian "authority" cleans up its own act in a whole myriad of ways, Israel shouldn't waste its time.

I have a great deal of respect for Dr. Rice. In many ways, she is in a no-win situation. However, this administration's blind spot on the Middle East is adding to my already growing disenchantment with it, and this disenchantment will carry over to the Republican Party if the Party begins singing the same song. Let me add to this another solemn warning. The more we push Israel into giving up land for "peace," the more we make our nation subject to divine judgment. Let's let the Prophet Joel (the real one) speak for the record . . .

I will gather all the nations And bring them down to the valley of Jehoshaphat. Then I will enter into judgment with them there On behalf of My people and My inheritance, Israel, Whom they have scattered among the nations; And they have divided up My land (Joel 3:2).

When the subject of Israel and the Palestinians is discussed these days, it quickly degenerates into a "look what THEY did!." "No, YOU look at what THEY did. THEY did it worse." One does not have to agree or approve of every action of the government of Israel. I certainly do not, especially in recent years. I also have great sympathy for the plight of Arab Christians who are often caught in the middle of this bloody conflict. But none of that should trump what Scripture says. None of that trumps the Abrahamic Covenant. None of that trumps what Scripture says about Israel being brought back to the land in UNBELIEF, and God continuing to accomplish His purposes.

We forget that at our peril.

No comments: