Tuesday, December 04, 2007

More on the Televangelists

NOTE: UPDATED TO FIX BROKEN LINK

Today on the newswires, there is this update on the televangelist investigation. I am glad to see that the news media is beginning to recognize that there are conservative, Bible-believing churches out there who do not buy into the excesses of some of the ones targeted for investigation by Senator Charles Grassley.

One thing you'll notice is that even the critics of the televangelists are concerned about government overreaching. I share that concern. However, I have to throw this caveat out there. If we were better at policing our own within the church, things wouldn't get to this pass. The Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability was formed just for that purpose, and each of these named ministries refuse to join it. I think it's time for some serious pressure from other high-profile pastors and evangelical spokespeople to get these ministries to open up and be accountable.

3 comments:

IndweltDaughter said...

Hey Joel :)

Thanks for the "caveat", but the link didn't work for me. The page it brought me to said Sorry, the page you requested was not found. The story or page you were trying to access may have expired.

Just thought you'd want know.

~Amanda

SolaMeanie said...

Thanks, Amanda..

Hopefully it works now. Sometimes news sites do that after a story has run for a while. I don't know why. I found the same story posted at an Austin TX station's website, so I put the link for that instead.

J

RBrown said...

Interesting that the investigation is only about these few.