Friday, January 18, 2008

Dr. Al Mohler on Postmodernism and "Jesusianity"

In this brief column, Dr. Al Mohler takes another look at how postmodernism has infected the church, and tries to create another Jesus in place of the biblical one.

Dr. Mohler's insightful comments (plus a book review he throws in there) confirm something I've felt for quite some time. Theologians and pastors would be much better served if they'd get back to the Bible and let it inform their theology, rather than spending so much time with unbelieving philosophers and letting their cockamamie ideas shape their view of God, truth and the world. The second confirmation for me was when I saw from Christian Book Distributors that a new book has come out by James K.A. Smith called "Who's Afraid of Postmodernism." According to the blurb, Smith tries to make the case that Christians are wrong to vilify postmoderns and that critics misinterpret philosophers Derrida, Lyotard and Foucault. More than that, Smith reportedly claims that postmodernism has affinity with core Christian claims.

I honestly don't know if I want to waste my time reading that one or not. To assert that postmodernism and biblical truth are compatible is patently ridiculous. I can't wait to see Al's review of this one!

5 comments:

Ron said...

Joel,

First, could you review my understanding of Derrida "deconstruction", which I see PoMo's employ. Briefly, this deconstruction is employed to more fully understand of the whole by breaking it down into segments. Ergo, when one understands the smaller segments more fully then one has a more complete understanding of the whole. Is that in any way correct?
That said, if my understanding of "deconstruction" is correct, then the intended implimentation isn't what I perceive the PoMo's doing at all. What I see is more a desire to "destroy" or reformat. And by initiating the thought process from the less desired segments instead of the whole, employing the title "Derrida deconstruction" only sounds intellectual, falsly giving some credability to the process of what is actually an intended, purposeful "selective destruction."
Am I anywhere close here?

SolaMeanie said...

I think you're partially right in terms of pomo deconstruction. However, I think there is an element within philosophical deconstruction that attempts to say that truth is defined by your own cultural biases. It denies an objective, absolute standard of truth. And that, of course, is sharply at variance with a biblical view of truth.

Jim W said...

Totally off-topic (although it does concern Dr. Mohler). Have you seen the so-called satire at one of the pomo blogs? Mocks Dr. Mohler and all conservatives quite thoroughly. I followed a link off Tony Jones's blog. Don't have it handy, but if you hunt, you'll find it. Has lots of the current emergent-speak (usually referred to as profanity) defended by none other than Jones himself. Who'd think Tony Jones would use foul language? ;)

SolaMeanie said...

Hi, Jim..

No, I haven't seen that but will look into it when I have time.

The language thing doesn't surprise me one bit. They've taken heat on this issue for quite some time but it doesn't seem to faze any of them. Maybe they think they're being trendy and hip, but all they are being is disgraceful. What a rotten testimony.

Jim W said...

No, language doesn't bother them. After all, it's more important to be "authentic". Besides, the Bible doesn't have a list of words we can't say (very tongue in cheek).