Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Red State vs Blue State



In the midst of all the medical fun going on in my family, I have a real quick post to make -- as you'll see by the time stamp, it's nearly 11:30 p.m.

Much was made of the map published in USA Today reflecting the county-by-county, state-by-state vote of Bush vs. Gore back in 2000. In the years following, we frequently heard "red state vs. blue state."

Here's my question. Since when did "red" become a color associated with conservative Republicans? In my experience, "red" meant quite something else.

2 comments:

lee n. field said...

When? 2000 election, I think. And you aren't the only one to notice the oddity of "red == conservative" when it used to be "red == commie".

Altogether too much blue in this state.

crownring said...

An interesting question, Sola. Unfortunately, I do not know the answer. My educated guess is it's from the American flag....wouldn't be PC to use white! ;)

It's very interesting to see where the blue shows up in that sea of red, eh? Not that it surprises me.