Thursday, May 01, 2008

The National Day of Prayer



Then the LORD appeared to Solomon at night and said to him, “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. “If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land (2 Chronicles 7:12-14).

This passage from 2 Chronicles is often used on the National Day of Prayer, which is today. There are those who dispute this usage, saying it only applied to national Israel at the time it was written. I have no interest in arguing that point at the moment. Regardless of who is right on this, I believe the attitude encouraged in these verses can't help but do our country good -- if we adopt it.

And believe you me, this nation needs prayer. Desperately.

4 comments:

Palm boy said...

I think Jesus' actions in the temple, proclaiming it a house of prayer are reason enough to pray.

Thanks for reminding me, Joel

saunch said...

I would just add that while I'm all for Apologetics and think much of the church is ignorant of basic information it needs, bottom-line is we can never persuade someone into the kingdom of God. It's the power of the Gospel message and the convicting Holy Spirit that persuades men. Which tells me it's vital that we share the true and complete Gospel. When we water it down so much that it's not offensive to people (leaving out the part about a holy God, our depravity, and the need for repentance)and just boil it down to "you need Jesus, say a prayer, and ask Him into your heart and He'll make your life all better", the "Gospel" loses its power to save.

saunch said...

Sorry, Sola, my comment was meant to be for the posting about Moishe. Wrong spot, my bad.

Solameanie said...

Amen, Saunch! To the Holy Spirit's role in salvation, I mean.

These days, I think the Gospel has been watered down to the point it's unrecognizable.