Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Word on Brett Favre and the Packers



I must confess something before I make my brief comment. I am not a big sports fan, and I have no real dog in this fight between Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. (I can see my friend Robert (a humungous Packer fan) getting his bazooka out right now)

Having issued that disclaimer, the situation with Favre is a great example of something that's always irritated the bejeebers out of me, and not just with football athletes. It's athletes in baseball, basketball, hockey . . . name your poison. If you decide to retire and announce said retirement with copious amounts of tears shed at press conferences, then retire. Please. If you have no intention of retiring, then please don't put the team and the fans through the grief. What is it? Ego gratification? Money? Grasping at youth that's gradually ebbing away? Who knows. I just know that all of this gets very tiresome, very quickly.

I am penning this little diatribe for all retired, un-retired, re-reretired and un-un-retired athletes out there. Listen. YOU RETIRED. You made a big deal out of it. Headlines galore. Sportscasts galore. Talk shows galore. But now your team has moved on. Go coach. Go consult. Go manage. Go be a sportscaster or a talk-show host. Go fish. Whatever. If you can't bring yourself to retire, I guess you can't. But next time you decide to hang up the helmet and wash out the jersey, don't call a press conference and cry. Just quietly go off into the sunset and be thankful for the time in the sun that you were given.

Yeesh!

Everything has to be such a blasted spectacle these days. Grrrr!

4 comments:

Oswald said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Solameanie said...

Oswald,

Thanks for the comment, but I don't allow ads of any kind on my blog. Feel free to comment any time, but no ads please.

Thanks in advance.

Palm boy said...

Yeah, I'm on the same page with you Joel. He's retired, and he needs to ride into the sunset. If he comes back to play, it won't be as a packer, and it had better not be as a Viking.

Humbug. Go bow hunting.

crownring said...

Amen to that! The man needs some perspective.