Monday, September 01, 2008

Happy Labor Day



As we enjoy the last weekend of summer, I can't help thinking about the American farmer. Yes, Labor Day celebrates all workers, and I don't intend to slight that for a moment. But the farmer is often forgotten, and farm families are entering perhaps the most important time of year with the oncoming harvest. I find it sad that the family farm seems to be going the way of the dinosaur, with corporate farms or even overseas operations having a huge impact. I hope and pray that trend reverses, and we can see a rebirth of the family farm. I am not a farmer, but my parents and grandparents (on both sides) were -- during the Great Depression, no less! And they plowed their fields with a horse and wagon. I have much for which to be thankful.

The Seventh Sola wishes one and all a very happy, restful Labor Day.

1 comment:

Stan McCullars said...

My Dad's parents were farmers.