Monday, November 10, 2008

Romans - God's Perfect Plan of Redemption



I have just begun a teaching series on the book of Romans for a Sunday school class at my church. I'm sure I'll be posting tidbits here and there as we go through this foundational letter from the Apostle Paul. In the meantime, I really love this verse found in Chapter I . . .

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes . . . (Romans 1:16).

Somehow, I think this verse will become very, very relevant to true Christians in the days ahead. It's hard to imagine being ashamed of the Gospel at the moment, but as pressure from an unbelieving, hostile culture steps up pressure against the church here in North America, I wonder how many will shine brightly, and how many will hide their light under a bushel?

It remains to be seen.

2 comments:

saunch said...

Joel, I taught Romans in our class several years ago as well. It's one of my favorites, up there with James and Ecclesiastes. The true Gospel is the only thing that has the power to save a soul; yet so many churches either try to water it down or avoid it altogether because it's offensive. If we neglect the Gospel all the religiosity in the world will not save one person.

Solameanie said...

I found a great quote while studying for this. The commentator is Anders Nygren . . .

“When man has slipped away from the Gospel, a deep study of Romans has often been the means by which the lost has been recovered. . . Romans gives us the Gospel in its wide context. It gives us the right perspective and the standard by which we should comprehend all the constituent parts of the Gospels, to arrive at the true, intended picture.”

No wonder so many today are trying to tear Paul down through "New Perspectives" and other such folderol.