Friday, December 05, 2008

Something to Consider



My cousin sent me the following "think piece" this morning. I thought it was cool, so I am posting it today as a break from heated arguments. (smile)

BTW, out of sheer laziness, I am leaving it in rough form without fixing spelling and punctuation. You can holler at me for it later.

As you might know, the head of a company survived
9/11 because his son started kindergarten.

Another fellow was alive because it was
His turn to bring donuts.

One woman was late because her
Alarm clock didn't go off in time.

One was late because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike
Because of an auto accident.

One of them
Missed his bus.

One spilled food on her clothes and had to take
Time to change.

One's car wouldn't start.

One couldn't
Get a taxi.

The one that struck me was the man
Who put on a new pair of shoes that morning,
Took the various means to get to work
But before he got there, he developed
a blister on his foot.

He stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid.
That is why he is alive today.


Now when I am
Stuck in traffic ,
Miss an elevator,
Turn back to answer a ringing telephone ...
All the little things that annoy me.
I think to myself,
This is exactly where

God wants me to be
At this very moment..

Next time your morning seems to be
Going wrong ,

The children are slow getting dressed,
You can't seem to find the car keys,
You hit every traffic light,
Don't get mad or frustrated;
It May be just that
God is at work watching over you.

May God continue to bless you
With all those annoying little things
And may you remember their possible purpose.

7 comments:

Phil Perkins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phil Perkins said...

Sola,
Actually, this doesn't prove anything. Statistically, a number of folks would have been late that morning, no matter what. And, no doubt, each would have a story about what made him or her tardy or absent.

It is an interesting to think of, though. Biblically nothing happens outside of God's decree. Mountains and molecules obey. I gives both humility and confidence. I remember this in my evangelism. If the door gets slammed, that's okay. That fellow isn't chosen or, if he is, his time isn't yet. If I spend lots and lots of time dealing with someone and he rejects the gospel, then I have been the agent to harden the heart of one of the damned and he will glorify God for all eternity, demonstrating God's justice and power by being so punished and so vanquished.

Interesting, too, is why your story works. It's really a tale of the mundane in light of the cataclysmic. Our little faithfulnesses will be mountains one day. And our secret sins will be gaping sadnesses.

Phil Perkins.

Solameanie said...

Never said it proved anything, Phil. The piece even says "possible purpose" at the end. It wasn't intended to be anything more than food for thought. I've been irked at long traffic lights myself more times than I can count.

I get way too irritated way too easily, and this was a neat little reminder to me to chill out.

lee n. field said...

That piece reminds me: A couple years ago, a cousin I don't see but once a year at the family Christmas, brought along his fiance, a lady with that annoying east coast accent. Turns out she had a story.

She'd been in the World Trade Center the first time it'd been bombed. She was commuting in the second time, when the planes hit.

She decided it was time to move someplace safer. She ended up in Rockford, IL, in time for Mall Bomber Jihad Boy, if you remember him, to get his sorry self arrested.

Phil Perkins said...

Sola,
It was a good post. I wasn't criticizing.

Phil.

Strong Tower said...

Then there was the guy who left early for work and preached the Gospel to a man on the subway that morning, got to work on time, died in the collapse, and today is walking with the Lord while the guy who rejected his plea to repent was "spared".

Randy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.