Sunday, December 14, 2008

What a World, What a World . . .




As I remember the Wizard of Oz and the Wicked Witch getting hit by water, I remember her famous line, "Who could imagine that a girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness" or something close to that.

I am thinking of scandals tonight as I recover from my illness. Don't have too much steam to yell or scream, just wonder. I have roots in both Arkansas and Illinois. Both states are known for shenanigans in the political and criminal sense. Illinois' most recent national embarassment is Governor Rod Blagojevich. A bit further back, Arkansas gave us the Clintons and Jim Guy Tucker. Sigh.

I love both states. Both states have their redeeming qualities. Emotionally, I am perhaps a bit more drawn to Arkansas because that is where the bulk of my roots -- mom, dad, grandparents etc -- are from. I grew up in Illinois not by choice. My heart and soul are in the South.

But right now, I'm not proud of either.

3 comments:

Kalev said...

Yeah it is kinda sad when you can't be proud of the state where you were born and raised...

There is a state that I love and I have an allegiance to. :-) that would be the State of Israel :-) just thought I would throw that out there.

Randy said...

Sola,

Liked Rockford, hated Chicago. Recently I guess GQ Magazine rated Chicago as the great American city or something of that nature. Hmmm...I could write a book on the crime and corruption of that city. I think its evils outweigh its good. However GQ goes for the glitz and glamor of things so I don't think it's a great litmus test for the city. I'm sure the Windy city has its bright side. On another note, it is sad that you have great memories of your home state to see it go through what it has.

Randy

Palm boy said...

Wooo. Texas!