Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stupidity Test

So Barack Obama wants Judd Gregg [(R) New Hampshire] to be Commerce Secretary. Because that would require Gregg to leave the Senate and give New Hampshire's Democratic governor an appointment to the Senate, that means Democrats would have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. That means they could ram through anything they wanted.

Note: On reflection, I deleted my last line about ego, and all the more so because I used the word "traitorous." That's over the top. I can't look into Judd Gregg's heart and know what would motivate him to accept Obama's offer. I'll just say that I think it would be a very bad move on his part, especially for what it could do to give one party the ability to ramrod anything they want.

3 comments:

Stan McCullars said...

...stupid...egotistical and traitorous?

That's a pretty good description of most of the Senate (and the House).

crownring said...

What Stan said........YEAH!

Solameanie said...

As a follow up, Gregg apparently told his governor and the Senate that he wouldn't leave if it changed the balance in the Senate. I have to commend him for that. However, Gregg's departure does put that seat ultimately in jeopardy.

I also have to wonder how he could reconcile his principles to join an administration that is diametrically the opposite of what he's supposedly standing for.