Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Dream Within a Dream


I am not typically one who puts a lot of stock in dreams, or interpretation of dreams. Having said that, I do recognize that dreams CAN mean something. We certainly get that from Scripture. Even so, people can also go off half-cocked and put too much stock in what they dream.

I generally don't dream much. When I go to bed and off to sleep, I am out. Completely. Of course, there are those who will insist you always dream, and mostly don't remember what you dream. I won't argue the point. I still insist that I don't dream. But when I do, it's a doozy. I've had a recurring dream for the past five years at least. You tell me what you think is going on.

I have been a broadcaster for most of my adult life - from age 18 until 15 years ago when I began my current job out of broadcasting. Oh, I still do one radio program a week with one of the ministries with which I am involved, but it's not a full time occupation any longer. Even though I am out of "the business," I keep in touch with colleagues who still are in the business. It is amazing how much technology has changed in the last 15 years. And that might be the crux of my dreaming.

In my dream, I always go back to my first radio job. I began in telephone marketing, but always wanted to run the control board. I really didn't care if I was on the air -- I just wanted to punch those buttons and move those dials. But I had to be on the air, so I was.

I was pretty good at it too i.e. the mechanics. In fact, I can remember how things used to be when we had bad weather. The station I was at at the time had two transmitters. One was tube type, and the other was solid state. Once in a while, we had to switch between transmitters when one got knocked off the air. I was the only one in the station outside of the chief engineer who knew how to switch between the two without looking at the instructions. So I got called on quite a bit. But I am getting away from the point of this post -- the dream. So here it is.

I dream that I am back at that station. I go on the air, and am getting ready to read a newscast. But I get tongue-tied. My time to go on air comes after the network news stops, but I freeze. I can't say anything. In panic, I grab a tape to put in to play..a commercial, a public service announcement..anything. I punch the button, but it doesn't play. I cue up a record to play a song, but the turntable doesn't work. Everything I do is a mistake.

Then I am off the air in the sense of doing a board shift. I am in the news department as I was for many years. I am supposed to cover a city council meeting or a school board meeting. But I oversleep and miss the meeting. I am supposed to interview someone, but my tape recorder doesn't work. I know I am going to get in trouble, but I am trapped. There's nothing I can do.

What does all this mean? I am not someone who is typically not confident in what I can do. But in my dream, I am losing it. What is it? Is it because I am aging? Is it because I am a throwback to an earlier time and feel out of place in this present world? Is it because technology is outpacing me? Is it maybe some bad pizza from the night before?

I really don't know. I'd like some opinions.

12 comments:

pilottage said...

impuissance
lost faith
believes in nothing
neither in is own abilities and Power of CREATION

Randy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randy said...

Joel,

I dream "every" night! Just last night Bill Clinton was at First Assembly with me introducing me to the crowd. Weird enough.

However, since I've been out of the loop in radio, I have the same recurring dreams. I keep seeing myself back at Q and G and I get behind the console and I cannot do it anymore! This dream has been going on for five years! One of the dreams had you, Jim B, and Cindy in it. I sat down to run the board and you guys were confident and I couldn't run the control board!

Here's my take and I've studied dream analysis to some extent and know two authorities on it. Sometimes we "bury" our insecurities whether real or not. Since they are surpressed, they have to go somewhere. And normally, they are processed in the dream cycle. (I'm not trying to go all new-age on you here.)

I've fought the battle of wanting to return to radio. It's the one thing I felt through the years that God truly wanted me to do. But, I've had naysayers that didn't like my voice i.e. my first GM at Q. However, I knew many that didn't like his voice! But, however, many people did like what I did on air.Cindy and Roland Boyce have been my two strong supporters.

So, that's my take. It's all theory. Also, Joel, as I've been talking with Doug W, Cindy and Mike S, radio has changed dramatically. My estimation from all my research too is: landbased radio is ready to fall. It's all headed and geared for the Net and to cell phones in streaming format.

I find it sad though. I remember when I landed my first radio gig in Toledo and sat behind the mic and did my first stop-set. Afterwards my manager walked into the studio and said, "Randy, you are a natural." I love technology but it's moving too fast for me. I even lamented to my brother the other day I kind of missed the "cracks and pops" of Lps and even the hiss of tape decks. However, I don't think I'd really want to go back to that.

Finally, it's hard to interpret any dream unless it was "truly" from God. That's happened maybe twice in my life. I hope this helps. And by the way, and I know I'm biased but I'm still sure of this: You always were good on the air and your knowledge surpasses most that I know. Plus, I think the age factor plays into it. I got into radio at twenty, and a lot of years have gone by. The older we get, I think, we fear losing things, talents and people.

Be well my friend,

Randy

Solameanie said...

Randy,

Interesting analysis. Maybe it is the aging thing. Maybe it's the bad economy and wondering how marketable I still am.

Pilottage,

Could you be a bit more specific? "Lost faith" and "believes in nothing" certainly doesn't apply to me.

Randy said...

Joel,

I have been definitely thinking about that whole "marketable" thing. A lot has changed. And...maybe my age is showing too. I really don't like what I hear on CCM these days. I think we need a new "grassroots" movement in CCM. Instead of formula, we get each artist's talents on music again.

I got off message there. But, God doesn't give us the gifts and take them away. At least that's what I've been told.

Have a good Monday,

Randy

pilottage said...

Now Here is the Original Dream of Humanity, knowledge has been lost, faith is lost, materialism is only one third of the equation (world crisis), teach people to make wise dreams, observe the seven principle, and you will create the future of humanity :

I. THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM
"THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental."--The Kybalion.

II. THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE
"As above, so below; as below, so above."--The Kybalion.

III. THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION
"Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates." --The Kybalion.

IV. THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY
"Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled."--The Kybalion.

V. THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM
"Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates."--The Kybalion

VII. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER
"Gender is in everything; everything has its Masculine and Feminine Principles; Gender manifests on all planes."--The Kybalion.

Solameanie said...

Okay, now I see where you're coming from. And I certainly don't agree with you as an evangelical Christian. The Kybalion is in essence a restatement of Eastern mysticism/New Age/occult belief.

The teachings of the Bible and Christianity are quite different. In terms of dreams, which is the topic of this post, they can be directly sent by God for a specific purpose. They can also be outplayings of an individuals' subconscious based on actual events or concerns. They might well have medical or chemical causes.

In addition, dreams can be demonically inspired. If people open themselves up by participation in areas that God has forbidden i.e. the occult, they can fall under demonic influence and control.

A warning worthy of heeding.

saunch said...

Thanks Joel. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight! As you know, until just recently I'd been in radio for 30 years. One of my dreams, usually when I'm under a lot of stress, is: I'm starting my first shift at a new radio station. There's a very specific playlist, and a big box of 45s, but I can't find the songs I'm allowed to play. The song "on the air" is just about to finish and I can't find the one that I'm supposed to play next...another part of the dream, my song's ending and I'm supposed to read a "live" commercial, but it's not in the book! Even though I've worked for years with newer technology (my last few stations had all the music played through the computer, rather than CDs), my dreams always go back to the days of playing 45s or cuts off of albums. My other recurring dream includes being chased by enormous grizzly bears, but we won't go there!

Pilottage said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Solameanie said...

Saunch,

Sounds like we radio-types must share the same nightmares!

Pilottage,

I have no problem if you want to comment and engage the post in terms of discussing specifics, theology, truth etc. However, I am not going to allow cryptic comments such as the one you just posted. Posting anything else like that will get you banned.

Final warning.

lee n. field said...

Dreams, dreams. Mostly they're probably not significant. I hope.

I get some doozies sometimes. Watching my Dad's back 40 being turned into a strip mall of quaint shops for Chicago weekenders--Euuuu. Watching a plane drop a nanotech assembler bomb on a hill. When the dust settled the hill had turned into a Stuffmart(R) store.

You weren't, like, naked in any of these dreams, were you? (Not kidding. Naked dreams are an occasional personal nightmare for me.)

Solameanie said...

BTW, just so you can see the comment I removed from "pilottage," here it is in all its glory:

OPONO ASTOS

30 45 45
Radio Station = Church
Box of 45 = Bible
Song Playing = The Pope
Next 45 = The Mystery
Live Commercial = He has got a Revelation
Box of 45 = All is in All
Bears = He has got a great power to reveal the truth


All righty then...LOL.

oppono astos means "I am against acts of cunning." I have a good solid feeling that this nonsense comment was intended to be just that. Nonsense.