Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Arlen Specter Joins the Dems . . . Good Riddance!


So, it's official. Senator Arlen Specter is leaving the GOP. I'm tempted to throw a party complete with fireworks.

This should have happened long ago. Arlen Specter has never been a reliable vote for the GOP when it really counted. What's really maddening is how many times Republican leaders have come out in force for him when previously challenged by genuine Republicans. They've thwarted any and all conservative challengers to Specter because they "wanted to keep the seat in Republican hands." This is the thanks they get, and they deserve every bit of it.

On one hand, it does put the Democrats closer to a 60-vote, filibuster-killing majority, which they've had de facto for quite a while, and will have when Al Franken finally finishes stealing the Minnesota seat. But they're already able to railroad through anything they want thanks to RINO Republicans like Specter.

My hope now is that the GOP will finally wake up and smell the coffee. Let's run the remainder of office holders like Arlen Specter out and replace them with genuine conservatives.

3 comments:

DJP said...

Spectre: "I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate."

Translation: I figured out that my party has figured out that I'm not really with them, and so I wouldn't even win the GOP primary. Plus, the Dems offered me a sweet deal. So, since it's always been about Me... seeya!

It is tactically bad news to lose a Republican Senator, and an even-occasionally Republican vote.

Having said that, I've held Spectre in absolute contempt since he borked Bork. He's an opportunistic, morally-clueless traitor. I'm just happy he's removing the veil so we can actually see the T-shirt now.

Solameanie said...

Yep. That statement about the electorate has to be one of the most arrogant things I've seen of late and shows his true feelings about his own voters. Mr. Toomey, who was going to challenge him in the primary, just might stand a decent chance of winning thanks to this betrayal, and if Obama/Congress continue on in the mindless path they're taking now.

The Squirrel said...

All I have to say is, "Wait a minute, Arlen... let me get the door for you!"

Sure, it causes some problems for the GOP, but it solves many more. 1 down, a half-dozen or so to go...

~Squirrel