Thursday, April 30, 2009

If a Country Sins Against Me . . .


Nowadays, when you bring up the possibility of God judging America -- or any nation for that matter -- you typically get outrage, even among some Christians. "Don't you know, we're in grace. God doesn't do that anymore."

Hmmm. I was just reading a rather interesting passage from Ezekiel. Let's take a peek at it together, shall we?

Then the word of the Lord came to me saying, "Son of man, if a country sins against Me by committing unfaithfulness, and I stretch out My hand against it, destroy its supply of bread, send famine against it and cut off from it both man and beast, even though these three men, Noah, Daniel and Job were in its midst, by their own righteousness they could only deliver themselves," declares the Lord God.

Note that God says, "if a country." He didn't just say "Israel." That tells me something. Every single nation on this earth is accountable to God. If a nation rejects Him and falls into gross sin, then that nation is subject to getting whacked. And I do mean whacked.

As we plunge headlong into normalizing gross sins of various stripes, and legislating the acceptability of those gross sins, we'd better pause and think a bit.

6 comments:

Ron said...

I've been reading the minor prophets lately as well, seeing the striking similarities towards the present days. Judah was provided with prophets and we've been blessed with rich history lessons via Scripture. Will we continue to repeat that history or learn from it? We need the boldness of those prophets instead of continuing to sit on our hands.

verification word:reman!

The Squirrel said...

Joel:

I agree, the judgment is here. The election of Obama, the economic downturn, the rise of immorality... they are all signs of God's judgment on America.

We are reaping what we've sown.

~Squirrel

Randy said...

Wow. I was just reading Ezekiel this morning. I think you are right on target Joel. I've always been amazed that the Word shows three examples of men that had righteousness. God named, Job, Daniel and Noah. I've always found that interesting.

Solameanie said...

Guys,

Amen to your comments. In further reflection, I can't help but think of Laodicea as well, especially the attitude of the Laodicean church. "We are rich and have need of nothing.' It was the only church in the list of seven that received no praise on any point from Christ. Sobering.

Gilbert said...

I would disagree on your solution, though. "we'd better pause and think a bit.". Uh uh. We'd better fall on our knees and repent-now!

Gilbert said...

A superfluous comment: I love the picture of the lightning bolt. Happened several years ago, but I still enjoy seeing it every time.