Wednesday, May 06, 2009

"GUYLINER?????"


The other day over at my friend Cindy Swanson's blog, I rather snarkily commented that it would be nice to see a male artist without mascara. The genesis of that remark was all the fawning over one of the contestants on American Idol — a guy who wears enough eyeliner to make the late Tammy Faye Bakker jealous.

I was being tongue-in-cheek, but imagine my horror this morning as I read this piece in USA Today about the growing appeal of "guyliner."

GUYLINER???? First it was "manbags" to compete with women's purses. Now men have taken to wearing makeup.

Now, this doesn't surprise me if we're talking about the swish crowd. Remember Boy George? But this seems to be a growing trend among those who would prefer Adam and Eve instead of Adam and Steve. Trying to look androgynous? Nope. It's worse than that.

What is next, I wonder? Girdles and bras? Lipstick? Perhaps men will now become consumers and users of feminine hygiene products? Puh-leeze!

I can see it now. The next brand of manscara from Maybelline. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

Ooops. Wrong product.

3 comments:

Ron said...

Looks as if another fashion essential will pass me by.

Randy said...

Just another sign of the times. What is wrong with people?

lee n. field said...

Manbags. A Maxpedition Fatboy would be just the thing, given the "quirky" laws in this here People's Republic.

Mascara? Mabeleene for men (Macholeene?)? Ummmm, NO. Like tattoos on pretty girls, it just ain't right.