Saturday, May 02, 2009

The Lake is Calling . . .


I've been down South several times in the past two years, but not for what I really like to do. I haven't fished for crappie in two years. That is way, way too long a time.

Oh, you can catch them here in Illinois where I live. But they tend to run very small -- about the size of your hand or a bit bigger. If they do get bigger ones here, they tend to be on farm ponds. If there is a good crappie lake in Illinois where they run larger, someone let me know.

The other fish I most often catch here are carp and catfish. I don't like carp, and I hate handling catfish because of the horns. Ouch, ouch, and double ouch.

I'd better quit talking about fishing, because I am going to put myself in high dudgeon. I have no prospects of getting away any time soon.

Sigh.

5 comments:

Palm boy said...

Cleaning a catfish is no fun either.

Solameanie said...

Yeah, I always snip the horns off, and then drive a nail in its head to a board..then skin away. In all honesty, I prefer to just throw them back. Crappie taste great. Catfish are just a bit too strong.

The Squirrel said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... My idea of good fishin' is telling the fellow behind the counter if I want the 1 piece or the 2 piece fish-n-chips basket!

(c:

~Squirrel

Randy said...

Joel,

After a traumatic episode with a fish around eight years old, I haven't been fishing since. The fins cut my hand between the thumb and forefinger. I know it was because I didn't know how to handle the fish properly to take it off the line. But, it left me with a bad feeling.

The closest thing I get to a fish these days is on a drive thru with sauce and cheese on a bun!

Randy

Solameanie said...

Ow. That must have hurt.