Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm Beginning to Hate June


And I don't mean Cleaver.

I just got back late yesterday from my emergency trip south. I had to leave to get back to work, and while my uncle was obviously deteriorating in health (leukemia), we thought he had some time yet.

We were wrong. We had nearly gotten back home only to learn he took a turn for the worse shortly after we left. He is now in a coma and unless the Lord intervenes, it won't be long before he passes away. In June, of course.

June has not been a kind month to my family. My grandfather died in June. My father died in June. Another uncle and a cousin died in June. With the exception of my father, who died in June 1980, the other deaths took place in 1974, 1975 and 1976 respectively. And now, this.

Don't get me wrong. Our days are numbered and our God is sovereign. I'm not angry at Him or bitter in any way. Just sad, and a bit mad . . . at June.

June is supposed to be the time for weddings and enjoying the onset of summer. I can skip the weddings, of course, but I do like summer.

That's beginning to change.

2 comments:

crownring said...

Your feelings for June mirror mine for Febuary, Sola. Bad memories that we associate with certain times of the year just don't fade away, no matter how much we wish they would. However God is in the redemption business and what He has created, He can redeem. May His love be with you now and always.

cr

threegirldad said...

My heart goes out to you, Joel. May God grant you peace and comfort.