Wednesday, September 23, 2009

How Dare You Call Us Fat?


It's almost conference time at my office, so my schedule is in shreds. That means not much time for a substantive post. However, I thought you'd find this little tidbit from the BBC interesting. It appears many obese people don't consider themselves to be fat.

I am not obese by any means, but I know I'm overweight and want it off of me. It passes understanding how someone could weigh nearly 500 pounds and hang three feet over each side of a chair and not realize they've got weight issues.

I am not saying that in mockery. I say that with sadness. My heart breaks for those who know they've got a problem and have battled it for years. Obesity has ripple effects in so many areas, not the least of which is health. If you eliminate medical or glandular causes, what is left is symptomatic of something psychological and/or spiritual. And it's ultimately deadly.

No comments: