Thursday, November 19, 2009
Bill O'Reilly and John Calvin
Last night, Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly completely misrepresented Calvinism, basically equating it with fatalism. It was an aside to a guest, but nevertheless, the misrepresentation was made.
Good Calvinist that I am, I have a partially tongue-in-cheek, five-point response to Bill's perfidy.
1. This was a totally depraved thing for Bill to do.
2. My disapproval is unconditional, and I may elect to watch him less in the future.
3. My patience is limited for this kind of thing, and I expect Bill to fully atone for his Romanist error.
4. I really try to exhibit grace, but in this instance, my urge to issue a rejoinder was irresistible.
5. If Bill continues in his mischaracterization of Calvinists, you can be sure this saint will persevere in his criticism.