Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No Thanks for Reagan?


Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down. I remember the event well, and I was very interested in how this day would be covered by the media. As I expected, I was saddened and appalled. Why, you ask? I'll tell you. This particular story is an excellent example. I also looked at the BBC and some other accounts.

Gorbachev gets credit from German chancellor Angela Merkel. But where is the credit due to Ronald Reagan, who demanded two years earlier, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall," overruling the objections of the U.S. State Department in delivering that line. Where? What European leader bothered to mention or acknowledge Reagan? Even our own former president George H.W. Bush, who served as Ronald Reagan's vice president, gave Mr. Reagan no credit at all during a Fox News interview.

As far as I am concerned, that's shameful.

1 comment:

lee n. field said...

Reagan makes me think of King Josiah.