Friday, May 14, 2010

And Then There Were Three


As you've no doubt noticed, I haven't been posting much of late. This has really been a hectic period of life for me. It sort of began last December when my mother was in the hospital for pneumonia. Then my stepfather began having health issues. Then my responsibilities increased at work, and then the snowball really started rolling. I hope things will slow down soon so I can put something up of more substance. But this morning, I offer up a little diversion, and an enjoyable one.

Most followers of this blog know that I am a huge Genesis aficionado. This morning, I recommend their 1978 album "And Then There Were Three." It is their first album as a three-piece after the 1977 departure of guitarist Steve Hackett, and the prior departure in 1975 of lead vocalist Peter Gabriel.

This album came out the year I graduated from high school, and it's always been a sentimental favorite for a variety of reasons. Interestingly, it's the one that gets panned the most by critics, and even the band itself says it's their least favorite of all their recordings. Typical for me, isn't it? I go where no one else does.

The album has a very wintry feel to it, and is interesting in how the music evolves with three people covering musically where there were once five people writing and playing. I personally think it's highly underrated.

After this one, I'd recommend the albums "Selling England by the Pound," which is the best of the Gabriel-era albums, and then "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering," both sung by drummer and now lead vocalist Phil Collins. Another interesting side note for the first Collins-led albums. He had just taken over as lead singer, and his voice in those days had a very pure, sweet, smoky tone to it. In subsequent albums to "And Then There Were Three," he began doing the more screaming, belting type of delivery he is largely known for today. His voice just doesn't sound the same now when singing a more mellow number.

Anyway, a good listen. I'll still be listening to this album in old age.

2 comments:

lee n. field said...

Graduated in '78?

You'll be turning 50, RSN, right?

Solameanie said...

Yes, half a century in October. And I feel every bit of it.