Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Divorce and the Boomers


Last week, there was a story in USA Today that I found a bit disturbing. The split of Al and Tipper Gore apparently sparked the story.

The subject was the growing number of divorces among those who have been married for a long time. This quote in particular stood out to me . . .

"It's the whole phenomenon of living longer, of having sex longer, of being healthier, oftentimes of being wealthier and feeling that they can easily pursue a no-fault divorce," says divorce lawyer John Mayoue of Atlanta. "I think we're seeing persons in long marriages questioning whether in fact there's a better life out there."

Mayoue says he has seen an increase in such splits over the past five years.

"Baby Boomers are part of the 'Me Generation' — what's better for 'me.' I think we're going to see more late-stage divorce in this country."


Did you catch that? "What's better for me." The "me" generation continues to reap the bad fruit of the unbiblical worldview in which they grew up, or worse yet, having a "me" message communicated by churches intent on trying to attract people by appealing in marketing fashion to their "felt needs" rather than proclamation of the Gospel and unapologetic preaching of God's Word. It's not about us. It's all about God, and for His glory. Or at least it should be.

Note: My apologies for the missing post from "The Fundamentals" over the weekend. Blogger was down for quite some time, and I wasn't able to access it all day yesterday. We'll try to pick it up again this weekend with the next installment.

1 comment:

lee n. field said...

"It's the whole phenomenon of living longer, of having sex longer, of being healthier, oftentimes of being wealthier "

Some people just get older, they don't get wiser.