Friday, November 05, 2010

Post Election Doldrums


I imagine most of my regular readers will know that I've sort of been in the doldrums for the past few months. When I began this blog back in 2005, it was a new and novel opportunity to express myself. However, it seems the bloom has worn off. I trust that's only temporary, but right now it's reality.

Of course, I could attribute it to lots of things. Being way too busy in my off-line life, difficult family issues i.e. lots of deaths and illness, being tired. All of that's probably true. I think some of it also has to do with seeing the predicament our country is in, and knowing that there's precious little I can do about it outside of praying. When you have a good half or more of the nation ready to chuck our founding principles out the window in favor of the nanny state on steroids, it is depressing.

I voted, of course, in the most recent election. Generally Republican, although I voted for the Libertarian in the race for the U.S. Senate in Illinois because I couldn't stomach the liberal Republican running. And how in the world the state could have given the Governor's office to Pat Quinn (Rod Blagojevich's Lieutenant Governor) is beyond me. Oh, well. We'll have to reap the whirlwind.

And what about the national situation? Yes, the GOP won big in the House of Representatives, but failed to take the Senate, although they did increase their numbers enough to deny Democrats the 60 votes they need to pass major legislation. The Republicans have big goals, beginning with repealing and replacing the health care monstrosity inflicted on the country by the Democrats. Unfortunately, President Obama will veto any such attempt, and there is not a 2/3 majority in either house to override a veto. Sounds like a recipe for gridlock until 2012, which might not be a bad thing unless it backfires on the Republicans like it did in 1996, helping Bill Clinton win re-election.

All in all, the same old fun and games. But the stakes are a bit higher this time around. And who knows what the end game will be.

The long and short of it is . . . I'm tired.

2 comments:

Palm boy said...

...It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Jackie said...

http://utmost.org/ today's devotion may encourage you.
Nov072010....We know that all things work together for good to those who love God . . . —Romans 8:28


You do have many life responsibilities going on,reasons to be tired. Praying for you as the Holy Spirit intercedes on your behalf,