Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chavez: Dictator for Life?


I never cease to be amazed that someone like Hugo Chavez can get elected to the position of dog-catcher, much less the presidency of a country. I'll bypass for now the wisecrack I could make about my own nation.

Anyway, the Associated Press posted this little story about Chavez wanting the authority to rule by decree for a year. I guess this will be the fourth time he's done it. The Venezuelan opposition seems powerless to do anything about it.

Let's have some fun. Suppose our own Mr. Obama takes a notion to ask Congress for authority to rule by decree for a year? Aside from the obvious constitutional issues, would he get away with it? I used to think, "no way." Now, I'm not so sure.

Look at the rioting across Europe because people are suddenly realizing that womb-to-the-tomb social programs cost a lot of money, and eventually the government runs out of other people's money. What would happen here in the U.S. should the government checks suddenly dry up?

I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty. And I'm sure some in the government would love the opportunity.

2 comments:

Palm boy said...

Its a human tendency I think, we want a strong leader to fix our problems.

Wreaked Rome, it may yet wreak us.

I doubt it though. We like our ice cream flavors to much to give up the power of choice to a state run system headed by a single individual.

Solameanie said...

I sure hope so, Robert.

As an aside, doesn't Chavez have just about the fattest head you've ever seen on a human being?