Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Obama's Faith


There has certainly been no shortage of commentaries and articles -- both print and broadcast -- on the religious faith of President Barack Obama. The latest examination comes from Politico, and they're discussing how Obama is increasingly talking about his faith on the stump.

I find that interesting on several levels, but I'll comment on one -- namely, I have found that liberal Democratic politicians who dare speak publicly about Scripture usually muff it pretty badly. Remember the howler of a misquote that Bill Clinton gave at a Democratic convention? "Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what we can build together . . . "

What? Ahem! Cough, cough. I think the verse actually reads . . . but just as it is written, “Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him. That's in I Corinthians 2:9, if you're interested.

Bill Clinton loved to carry that huge Bible. It would have been nice if he had actually read it, not to mention taking to heart how seriously the Lord takes it when His Word is misquoted or mishandled.

The linked Politico article talks about President Obama often referencing as a "mantra" the biblical phrase, "I am my brother's keeper." He uses it to justify the ever-expanding government reach into peoples' lives, businesses and the economy. But just where did that little phrase come from, you might ask. Let's see. I believe . . . ah, yes! It comes out of Genesis, and the one who says it is none other than Cain, son of Adam and the world's first murderer . . .

Then the LORD said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” And he said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?” He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood is crying to Me from the ground. Now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. When you cultivate the ground, it will no longer yield its strength to you; you will be a vagrant and a wanderer on the earth.” Cain said to the LORD, “My punishment is too great to bear! Behold, You have driven me this day from the face of the ground; and from Your face I will be hidden, and I will be a vagrant and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.” So the LORD said to him, “Therefore whoever kills Cain, vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold.” And the LORD appointed a sign for Cain, so that no one finding him would slay him. Then Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden (Genesis 4:9-16).

As you can see from the context (a wondrous thing that is -- context), the oft-quoted phrase from Obama has nothing to do whatsoever with expansion of government, even to do good things. It's a smart-aleck response from a guilty man trying to pass off just snuffing his brother.

I wish these politicians would actually read Scripture. They just might learn something. They might even get saved.

1 comment:

lee n. field said...

They have a bit of a tin ear, don't they, for Christianity.