Saturday, March 19, 2011

Callous Thinking


The news for the past few days has been consumed with the nuclear disaster in Japan — a disaster brought on by an unimaginable 9.0 earthquake, followed by a devastating tsunami.

In watching the coverage, and reading various newspapers/blogs, I saw some comments made in some circles that "Japan is rich enough. They don't need Western help."

I don't know about you, but I am appalled that helping Japan is even a question. It doesn't really matter what an economic powerhouse they've been in the last 40 years -- give or take a downturn in their economy here or there. This is a human tragedy. Japan needs help. For Christians, what better way to show the love of our Savior and helping those who are grieving or hurting.

Having said that, be careful. As I pointed out in my previous post on this subject, the scam artists are already out there. Give to reputable sources such as the Red Cross if you're of a secular bent. For Christian ministries, there are several including Samaritan's Purse, the Salvation Army, Christian Aid etc. Be sure the ministry is part of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).

There will likely not be an installment from The Fundamentals this weekend, as I've got some other comments I'd like to make in a post tomorrow. I may move The Fundamentals to Monday or Tuesday for this week only.

3 comments:

crownring said...

Hi Sola,

I have made donations through the Salvation Army and Samaritan's Purse for Japan. The idea of Japan not needing outside help is completely false! Japan desperately needs prayer and physical assistance.

Palm boy said...

Please not the Red Cross, all of it's donations go into the general fund.

Crown Ring has good points.

Solameanie said...

I prefer Christian organizations myself. I mentioned the Red Cross because they were very helpful to me and my family when my house burned down back in 2003.

And I believe Japan DOES need the help, spiritual and physical.