Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Trump, The Bible and CBN


The buzz for Donald Trump's possible presidential run continues to grow louder.

Now, we have an interview by CBN's David Brody, in which The Donald gives his views on Scripture and church.

I imagine there will be a few evangelicals taken in by this kind of God-talk, but I am hopeful that the stupid virus hasn't metastasized to stage four in the Christian body politic yet. Donald Trump is fun to watch sometimes. He's a successful businessman and expert at getting media attention. But for the presidency? I don't think so. And there's more to being a genuine Christian than "Sunday Go To Meetin," even at a Presbyterian church. Donald Trump is hardly known for his passion for a biblical Christian faith.

The late Pat Paulsen was known for his perennial presidential runs, albeit in a more comedic light. Then again, the current presidency is a daily routine that would be comedic if it wasn't so tragic for the country.

Donald Trump has every right to run for office if he wishes. For the sake of the GOP, I hope he gives up the notion pronto.

3 comments:

Jim W said...

The problem is; who does the GOP have that could mount a real campaign? If we can't support Trump because of his sorta-beliefs, we can't support Romney, either. Palin wouldn't stand a chance, nor does Bachmann. Huckaby is way too "vanilla"-no charisma at all. So, who? At least, Trump knows how to get things done. And he will be brutally honest when the time calls for it.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a solid Christian as our president, but I'll take an atheist who can lead-if I have to.

Solameanie said...

I sympathize, Jim. Unfortunately, I don't think Trump's character will hold on closer scrutiny. Like Mitt Romney, his switch on abortion is too recent and seems too convenient. I suspect he will do the usual -- say one thing when running and do another when elected. Also, we can't forget that there is often a different perspective when one is actually in the Oval Office and has access to information that the general public does not. Honestly, I don't really get jazzed over anyone running right now.

Jim W said...

You may well be right. I hope Trump stands up to scrutiny-because we just don't have much hope elsewhere.