Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Warning from Dr. Sowell


As I've noted before, I enjoy reading Dr. Thomas Sowell. I've also noted my skepticism over a Donald Trump candidacy for the White House under the GOP banner. Dr. Sowell has some warnings about that possibility as well.

It seems to me like the GOP seldom misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. We had a Ronald Reagan once, but then the best we could offer was Bob Dole, George W. Bush and John McCain. Bush did indeed win the presidency, but he was hardly the most conservative leader around. And he helped lay the groundwork for Barack Obama.

Donald Trump may well be a decent businessman, but he's also a showboat. And he's a showboat whose conservative credentials are really, really suspect. If he actually runs, I am afraid the GOP will sustain incalculable damage.

No comments: