Friday, July 15, 2011

Control Screaming Kids?


Surely, you jest!

I had to chuckle grimly a bit over this little story. Apparently, a restaurant wants to ban the under-6 crowd from their establishment because older clientele complained about their "unruly" behavior.

I read with interest, because I've been greatly annoyed by trying to eat an expensive dinner in an upscale establishment, with a 5-year-old boy at the next table lying on the floor kicking and screaming, and his oblivious parents doing nothing about it. The article goes on to discuss the behavior of kids on airplanes, and the resultant furor.

But then, do parents dare do anything about their kids' tantrums in this Spockian statist day and age? These days, if a parent so much as says "boo" at their kid in a public place -- much less warm the brat's rear -- they get turned in to the child protection authorities and possibly arrested for abuse. Even though corporal punishment by parents is still legal in the U.S.

I'm not posting this to get into another knock down-drag out on the merits of corporal punishment. But I have to laugh at the complaints of society about bratty kids when society itself contributes to the problem by over-policing how parents correct their children.

6 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

Well, my dad used to say there's nothing wrong with applying the Board of Education to the Seat of Knowledge. :)

Solameanie said...

I agree wholeheartedly!

Dungy said...

There's nothing worse than a baby in the movie theater. If you can't find a sitter, then consider missing the latest Harry Potter a small appetizer in the banquet of sacrifices you're about to make as a parent - and get over it.

Anonymous said...

Let's just say that not being able to control a tot is just the same as saying "shit happens" and has nothing to do with bad parenting> I wouldn't dare taking my kids to fine restaurants or the movies, but casual dining and airplanes could be just unavoidable. I wish there was more understanding and tolerance with the parents that truly try to calm their kids even if they are not successful. There are just simply way too many rude people making a big deal out of it. Little kids really will not stop screaming until it's too late and everybody is annoyed.

Solameanie said...

I understand your point, Anonymous. However, in most instances I have encountered, the parents don't even try to stop the behavior. They either ignore it or think it's cute. I'm not kidding.

Solameanie said...

BTW, you are welcome to post here although I tend not to like anonymous comments. However, please read the blog rules. No salty language, please. I'll let this comment remain, but will delete future ones that contain expletives. Thanks.