Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pat Robertson Strikes Again


Televangelist Pat Robertson is the gift that keeps on giving, and I say that with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Apparently, (go check out the Christian Post for the original story), Pat gave carte blanche for someone to divorce a spouse who is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. In this separate Christian Post column, Russell Moore of the Southern Baptist Convention (pictured right) issues one of the most powerful rebuttals I have seen. I truly believe he hits the nail right on the head.

I know living and caring for sick loved ones can be difficult. I've lived it myself for the past couple of years. But the notion that someone can divorce a spouse because mentally "they're not there anymore" seems to me to violate the very core of what Christ expects. We're not talking adultery, infidelity, fornication or even physical abuse. We're talking illness.

What in the world was Pat thinking?

No comments: