Friday, November 25, 2011

Don't Cry, Octopi!

I realize this is a bit out of the ordinary for The Seventh Sola, but I couldn't resist posting it. As usual, what prompted me to post it is a strange tale in and of itself.

Check out this Orion article on intelligent octopi. It's a bit long, but also kind of cute in that the people studying (or visiting) these octopi develop relationships that seem strangely mutual.

The term "octopi" (plural for octopus) reminded me of "hippopotami," the plural of "hippopotamus." Why? Because Al Stewart of "Year of the Cat" fame once did an amusing ditty called "Hipposong." While I don't agree with the reincarnationist twist at the end of the song, it was funny, with the immortal line, "Hippopotami are not supposed to cry."

So there you have it. Only from an ex-radio guy's obscure mind, borne out of a library of many obscure songs of which no one else has heard.

No comments: