Sunday, November 20, 2011

Musing on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving isn't until Thursday, but I've been doing some musing of late on the whole idea of walking in thankfulness. Or perhaps it would be better to put it this way - walking and living in an attitude of thanksgiving.

Scripture makes it fairly clear that the Lord expects this attitude from His children. In Philippians and Colossians, the Apostle Paul speaks of thanksgiving in our prayer lives. Often when people pray, it's generally to present our requests, needs and concerns to the Lord, but Paul says that thanksgiving should not be omitted even if we're praying about a need.

Like most people, I've had my share of trials and tribulations in my life. I've had my share of heartbreak and crises. But taken as a whole, I have much, much more for which to be thankful. And that begins with being thankful that I have a Savior who loved me enough to die on the cross for my sins, and rising again from the dead for my justification.

We're thankful for our home. We're thankful for our food. We're thankful for gainful employment. We're thankful for friends and family. We're even thankful for trials, because they produce endurance (James 1:3). But most of all, we're thankful for Jesus.

That's what's on my mind this week. And I hope it continues to always be on my mind.

No comments: