Wednesday, December 21, 2011

On a Christmas Day . . .

Actually, the photo on the right got me thinking of "California Dreamin," by the Mamas and the Papas. The song contains the line "I went for a walk on a winter's day."

That in turn led me to remember the Simon and Garfunkel song, "Hazy Shade of Winter." That song contains the lyrics . . .

"But look around,
leaves are brown now
And the sky
is a hazy shade of winter

Look around,
leaves are brown
There's a patch of snow on the ground."



Don't ask me why my mind works the way it does. I could blame it on my early years in radio, where I had to listen by force to song after song in all sorts of different genres. But it is what it is.

The photo was taken last winter while I was driving to work early one morning. It had been snowing overnight and the sun was trying to peek through the clouds. Many people would find such a scene gloomy, and no doubt Paul Simon had the gloominess of winter on his mind when he wrote "Hazy Shade." But to me, every season has its beauty. I see a stark sort of beauty in that cold picture, with cold snow on the ground, a cold freeze in the air, yet the light of the sun managing somehow to break through the frost and shine its light.

Isn't that what happened on the first Christmas Day long ago? A light broke out into a cold, dark world with the promise of eternal hope. The child in that manger was actually God Incarnate, who grew to become a man, and our Savior. He gave His life on the cross for our sins, and rose again from the dead to justify all who would believe in Him as Savior and Lord.

That ought to warm our hearts even though the outside might be frightful. Our Savior is the greatest gift of all.

No comments: