Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Happy Birthday, Charles Dickens!


Since we seem to be in a celebratory spirit of things British this week, allow me to offer birthday greetings to the great novelist and journalist Charles Dickens. You can read the account of the celebrations in the UK by clicking this link to Yahoo news.

Dickens has always been a favorite author of mine, and Oliver Twist my favorite Dickens novel. That might surprise a few people. You'd think it would be the perennial favorite, "A Christmas Carol," which is, of course, classic. But the wonderful tale of the poor orphan boy who eventually rises above it all to find happiness has always moved me deeply, and I think it always will.

I can't think of anyone who writes with more forcefulness and emotional, moral outrage at poverty, injustice and society's response to it. So if you haven't already done so, go pick up a copy of Oliver Twist and begin reading.

While I am on the subject, if you're looking for a good video adaptation of the story, go for the BBC's several-hour 1988 version starring Ben Rodska as Oliver. It's excellent, and stayed largely true to the book, which is always important for me. I hate it when things get changed in the story by filmmakers. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

Sola's note: I should have put a link up about the BBC adaptation of Oliver Twist. And here it is from Amazon. Honorable mention should also go to the 1968 movie with Mark Lester in the Oliver role. I would have enjoyed that one much more had it not been a musical, and that's not to say some of the songs weren't good. I just don't like musicals in general. I'd rather just watch the story unfold.

1 comment:

Cindy Swanson said...

Great post, Joel! My favorite Dickens book is "Great Expectations."

Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life