Sunday, March 18, 2012

Frustrated Musicians

Sometimes I have to chuckle at myself. When I'm not tearing out my few remaining strands of hair.

Now what kind of intro is that for a Sunday night devotional? But yes, I'm headed in that direction. Bear with me, please.

My mother went down to see my sisters recently, and that left me with some down/quiet time. The frustrated musician in me thought it would be an excellent time to record some ideas I've had burbling around in my head for a while.

For me to do any recording is very time consuming. I am not a proficient guitarist, bassist or keyboardist. We won't even discuss vocals in polite company. The point is - it takes me a long time to lay tracks down. And I absolutely REFUSE to use Auto-Tune in any way, shape or form. I always thought if I did an album, I'd do what Queen did for years in their album credits. "No synthesizers." I use synths, but hate Auto-Tune with a passion. Only one band I can think of used it cleverly, and that was Genesis on their "Calling All Stations" album. Keyboardist Tony Banks used it briefly in a keyboard solo, and all that was happening there was octave shifts. That I can handle.

The long and short of this post is that I tried to record on computer over the weekend. It decided to lock up on me after finally nailing a keyboard part that would come easy to most kids who know how to play Chopsticks. I lost most of what I had recorded. The first person that says "Did you save often?" will get slugged.

Now, what about the devotional?

Isaiah the prophet rightly records . . .


But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away (Isaiah 64:6)

We do our best, and our best is never good enough to meet God's standard of perfection. But in that knowledge we can have peace if our trust is in the Lord Jesus Christ. His righteousness IS good enough. He died on the cross for our sins and rose again for our justification before God. Because of Him, we can be clothed in the righteousness of Christ and come boldly to the throne. And as the wonderful song says, "He is ever interceding." 

We don't have to all be virtuoso musicians or vocalists. The Lord inhabits the praises of His people. He first loved us, so we love Him. And through His enabling power, we live lives that are pleasing to Him, hopefully demonstrating His great love to those around us. We get to share the joy when someone new is drawn to the Lord in saving faith, through the preaching of His Word and the power of the life-changing Gospel. 

That's music enough. 

No comments: