Friday, March 02, 2012

So Disobedience to Christ is Following Him?

I feel like Reagan, having to begin another post with "there you go again." But I have no choice.

Justin Bieber and Bear Grylls are in the news so to speak, with their additional comments on their version of Christianity. This article will explain things further, as I want to keep my own post brief. I'm tired today

The point I want to make after you've read the news article is this. You don't claim to be a faithful, believing Christian and then live in intentional disobedience to the Lord. Scripture is plain in its commands that believers are to be part of a local church for teaching, worship, edification, fellowship, and being equipped for ministry. That's our purpose for being. To bring God glory through our lives and to point the lost to the Lord Jesus, hoping and praying that they will respond to the Gospel in saving faith.

But instead we have Christianity by cafeteria plan, where you can just be "spiritual" and ignore what Scripture says on a whole host of subjects. I find it very irritating, and I can only imagine what the Lord thinks of it.

If we live lives intentionally in disobedience, then I have to question the genuineness of someone's faith. After all, Jesus said "If you love Me, keep my commandments." We are not saved by commandment keeping. We cannot earn our way to Heaven by human works of righteousness. However, our obedience is proof of our faith. Our obedience is proof that we truly do love the One who paid the price for our sins in the cross.

My would-be brothers and sisters who think they can dictate terms to God on what it means to follow Him had best think again. They're in for a rude awakening.

Update: It was pointed out to me that there was a "comments" section to the linked article, and in that comments section, someone made the case that the article was incomplete and not quite fair to Mr. Grylls and his views. I didn't read the comments section when I first saw the article..just the article itself. My bad. 

Granting that point, I have seen other articles where Justin has made similar statements, but we should give him the benefit of the doubt. I could go through a whole litany of other well known younguns who have claimed Christ, yet have moved on to rather tragic behavior. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, etc. I hope Justin can avoid those pitfalls. Part of helping to make sure of it is by getting in a regular Bible-preaching, Bible-teaching church where you have others helping to hold you accountable. That was really my primary point, and I stand by it.

8 comments:

Solameanie said...

As a follow up comment to this, it was pointed out to me in the "comments section" of the linked story, someone brought up that the article was incomplete and not quite fair to Mr. Grylls and his views. I didn't read the comments section when I first saw the article..just the article itself.

Granting that point, I have seen other articles where young Mr. Bieber has made similar statements. I could go through a whole litany of other well known younguns who have claimed Christ, yet have moved on to rather tragic behavior. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, etc. I hope Justin can avoid those pitfalls. Part of helping to make sure of it is by getting in a regular Bible-preaching, Bible-teaching church where you have others helping to hold you accountable.

RoseP said...

I read that comment too and it is indeed unfair to state that mr. Grylls has his own version of christianity. And to say that 'This article will explain things further' is not a great idea when it doesn't tell the whole truth. I read through the comment section and I think it's quite clear that mr. Grylls doesn't have an aversion to church, according to his quotes taken from his books and interviews. In fact, I think his version of christianity is very biblical, stating it's about a relationship with Jesus Christ instead of religion! Let's please not judge someone too soon.

Solameanie said...

You're quite right, Rose. I fault myself for not reading and scrolling. I scan the news from a host of different sites daily, and quite often I think I am reading a stand-alone article like a newspaper would publish, not realizing immediately that it's an "interactive" site with additional comments/info later. Not every news site has them, and not every blog allows comments. I will indeed need to be more careful.

I am going to take my prior posted comment and put a variation of it as an "update" in the original post. Hopefully that will clarify things as it refers to Mr. Grylls, but I stand my ground with what I said overall as I see it happen too much. And as I said, Justin himself has been quoted quite a bit on this and the quotes have been pretty consistent. I think this is a problem for many young believers, and it's why so many of the ones in the public eye i.e. Miley Cyrus etc. end up in trouble.

RoseP said...

Hi Solameanie, yes I agree with you indeed that's a phenomenon you see quite often in celebrity lifes. I do not know a lot about Justin Bieber, but a statement like he made is quite clear. Though I think the statement Bear Grylls made, can be viewed in different ways. And I think the writer of the article should have done more research beforehand. Btw I wasn't referring to your post when saying we shouldn't judge, I was referring to the article :)

RoseP said...

O wait i wasn't ware that you are also the writer of this post, sorry :) I thought you were just someone who posted a comment, lol. I should have read it better!

Solameanie said...

No worries, Rose! Happens to me all the time! ;)

Blessings,
Joel (Solameanie)

P.S. I'm really not that mean. Just sometimes terribly, terribly worried. ;)

RoseP said...

And I meant the original article you referred to in your blog.

RoseP said...

That's okay :) I didn't think you were mean, lol. And I certainly understand your worries!